Language Arts Content Standards
Graduates of the Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn School District will:
1. Demonstrate competence in the general skills and strategies of the writing process.
2. Demonstrate competence in the methods and styles of creative, critical and technical writing.
3. Write with a command of the grammatical and mechanical conventions of composition.
4. Effectively gather and use information for research purposes.
5. Demonstrate competence in the general skills and strategies of the reading process.
6. Demonstrate competence in general skills and strategies for reading literature and information.
7. Applies the reading process to specific types of literary and informational texts.
8. Use different information sources, including those of a technical nature, to accomplish specific tasks.
9. Demonstrate competence in speaking and listening as tools for learning.
10. Demonstrate an understanding of the nature and function of the English Language.
11. Demonstrate a familiarity with selected literary works of enduring quality.
12. Understand the characteristics and components of the media.